5 Ways to Treat Yourself with Self-Care this Mother’s Day
They say it takes a village to raise children.. and for some of us this past year, that village has just been you. So now that things are slowly getting back to normal, it’s time to treat yourself mama. Of course gifts are nice from your kids too- the hand drawn cards, the craft they made at school, the beautiful birthstone necklace. Just be sure to gift yourself some thing else this year, and that gift is self-care. Let’s talk about five different ways you treat yourself this Mother’s Day.
1. It’s time to pamper yourself with a time out. Disconnect. Turn your phone off unless it’s to listen to music. Book a massage, new hair style / pedicure, or all of the above. If you’re on a budget then lock yourself in your room, draw a bubble bath, maybe do a hair mask or a face scrub and pour a glass of wine and relax.
2. Go for a walk or book an exercise class. Studies have proven that even just five minutes of working out can boost your mood. Working out makes your brain release serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine, which make us feel good. It doesn’t have to be hard core cardio, just a simple walk will have you feeling good. Low intensity exercising is also great to mentally destress.
3. Grab lunch or a drink with your girlfriends. Better yet, plan a Mother’s Day Brunch with your girls. Bottomless Mimosas anyone? This is our chosen family, who better than to set the reset button with? They’re the best emotional support system you can have and it’s been proven hanging out with your girlfriends is better for your health. Maintaining close relationships actually increases serotonin and oxytocin, the bonding hormone. So tell your husband or significant other you have to go out with your girlfriends because you’re being healthy.
4. Grab a good book. Reading is great for your brain, reduces stress, and helps you sleep better. I’m not talking about scrolling Instagram or clicking the latest gossip story ...( but, is Bennifer back on?) haha.. No, no I mean grab a book. Reading a book lets you escape to different place. This helps to relax because you’re no longer thinking of your life and your personal stresses. So grab a cup of coffee, find a comfy spot and step out of your reality for a bit.
5. Lastly, and this is our favorite.. Go Shopping.. Yes Ladies, I’m talking about Retail Therapy. It’s actually really good for you in more ways than you think. When you look good, you feel good. A new outfit can give you a major confidence boost and make you feel fabulous. Shopping gives us a sense of personal control over our environment. Sometimes lingering sadness can come from situations that you can’t control so as soon as you place yourself in a situation that you can control.. here comes happiness. And when things aren’t going your way, getting exactly what you want can boost your mood. Shopping makes you happy almost immediately. Ever wonder why you get excited when you start adding things to a cart or maybe you’re anticipating a new package arriving? It’s literally dopamine that’s being released into your body to make you happier.
So ladies, this Mother’s Day we’d like to treat you with some self-care because as I stated above, shopping makes you one happy mama. Use code MAMA for 15% off all new arrivals and receive a free gift. Feel good and look good this Mother’s Day. We also are giving away an outfit to one lucky Mama, check out our Instagram on how to enter. And Let us know how you plan to practice self-care. Remember Mama- it’s not a selfish indulgence, it’s a necessity.
Senior Writer, Victoria May Wood
Leave a comment